Thursday, August 29, 2013

Jewelry Display Board Tutorial

Since I just started selling Origami Owl, I needed a way to display my lockets at parties and events. Most people just use jewelry display busts. Those have a nice clean, classy look to them which make for a great display, but I needed something with a little more pizzazz!

I did some pinterest searching, but couldn't find anything that was quite right. So I came up with my own!

What you need:
11x17 cork board with frame (or larger or smaller, depending on your preference)
12 x 18 inch foam sheet (I found mine at Michaels craft store- you could also use fabric or felt, etc.)
Lace cut to size of cork on your frame (mine ended up being 15 1/2 x 9 1/2)
Ribbon (I used nearly an entire spool)
Push Pins
Rhinestones embellishments (mine were stickers, but any will work-heck even buttons-something with a flat back)
Any other embellishments (I used shabby flowers I had on hand since I also make headbands out of them and have a ton!)
-stapler, hot glue gun 

Step 1: Trim your foam (or fabric or felt, or whatever you are lining the cork on your board with) to fit snugly in the frame. Don't worry about it being perfect, the edges will be covered up later. (I used a cutting mat, ruler, and xacto knife to make my edges pretty straight, but scissors will work just fine too!)

Step 2: Staple your foam to the cork-I put staples in each corner and on on the middle of each of the longer sides. You could also glue it down, if you wish.

Step 3: Trim your lace to the same size as your foam (if you haven't already) don't worry about the edges being super straight, they will get covered up later. Glue down your lace onto the foam. You only want to put glue on the very edges-do not glue in the middle or you will have a mess and the glue will show through! 

Step 4: Trim 4 pieces of ribbon that fit the lengths of your board. Make sure to use a lighter or candle to heat seal the ends! Glue down onto the edges along your board. This step gives it a cleaner look so you don't see the edges of your lace or foam.

Step 5: Push Pins: Attach your rhinestones (mine were sticky so easy peasy) to the flat part of your push pins. You can also glue on buttons or non sticky rhinestones...use your imagination! Or if you have fancy pretty push pins, use those!

Step 6: Add on any other embellishments to personalize it. I added shabby flowers to the corners of mine. A little hot glue and Tada!!

You can either hang it on the wall for a home display or I have a stand to place it on for my jewelry bars and events.

This took me no longer than 30 minutes to do, probably less but I spent a good deal of time trying to find my stapler. :-)

*I apologize for the lack of pictures. I didn't think to write up a tutorial until after I was finished! But it's pretty simple to put together, so hopefully my directions are good enough. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment